11 injured in communal clash in Tonk
Jaipur: At least 11 people, including five policemen, were on Friday injured as clashes broke out between two groups in Tonk city of Rajasthan.
The tension started last night when members of minority community objected to the loud music being played by a marriage procession, which was passing from outside a mosque in Chhavni area, police said.
The issue turned ugly when members of both the sides started pelting stones, set ablaze a motorcycle and damaged a police jeep in the night, police said.
Police had to resort to cane charge to quell them in Chhavni area.
However, the situation was brought under control and additional police force was deployed in the area to maintain law and order.
"Today, people from both the sides again confronted and pelted stones. The unruly mob was dispersed by lathicharge, and tear gas shells were also lobbed to control the situation," Additional Superintendent of Police Prem Singh said.
"11 persons including 6 policemen were brought here with injuries. No one is serious," a doctor at the Tonk government hospital said.
"The situation in the area is tense but under control," the police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof