11 injured in communal clash in Tonk
Jaipur: At least 11 people, including five policemen, were on Friday injured as clashes broke out between two groups in Tonk city of Rajasthan.
The tension started last night when members of minority community objected to the loud music being played by a marriage procession, which was passing from outside a mosque in Chhavni area, police said.
The issue turned ugly when members of both the sides started pelting stones, set ablaze a motorcycle and damaged a police jeep in the night, police said.
Police had to resort to cane charge to quell them in Chhavni area.
However, the situation was brought under control and additional police force was deployed in the area to maintain law and order.
"Today, people from both the sides again confronted and pelted stones. The unruly mob was dispersed by lathicharge, and tear gas shells were also lobbed to control the situation," Additional Superintendent of Police Prem Singh said.
"11 persons including 6 policemen were brought here with injuries. No one is serious," a doctor at the Tonk government hospital said.
"The situation in the area is tense but under control," the police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!