18th century tunnel connecting Amber to Jaigarh fort opened
Jaipur: A 325-metre long 18th century open air tunnel, connecting Amber Palace to Jaigarh fort in Jaipur, was on Sunday inaugurated by Rajasthan tourism minster Bina Kak after its excavation and renovation.
"It is being inaugurated before the beginning of tourism season here and I hope that it will attract tourists, and also help elderly people to reach Jaigarh fort from Amer in a convenient manner in the carts," Kak told reporters.
The tunnel or passage was already open for tourists from Janana Dyodi to Rang Mahal in Amber fort and now it is open from Madho Singh Than near Rang Mahal (Amer) to Ganesh Pol in Jaigarh fort after the inauguration.
The open air tunnel (Madho Singh Than to Ganesh Pol), believed to be of 18th century, and inaugurated today, is a 325-metre long traditional cobbled pathway which was used by erstwhile rulers and now excavated by the government.
From Ganesh pole (a resting point) to Awani Gate (entry to Jaigarh) battery operated golf carts will be available to facilitate the visitors to reach the fort.
The project was undertaken in PPP mode between the government of Rajasthan and Jaigarh Public Charitable Trust.
Jaigarh fort, which houses the largest cannon on wheels called Jai Ban, is nestled in the Aravali hills ranges and below that, there is Amber fort and palace complex.
It is believed that the pathway was constructed probably in 18th century as a defence mechanism so that in case of an attack on Amber palace, the royal family and others could be evacuated undetected from the palace to the fort through this structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...