18th century tunnel connecting Amber to Jaigarh fort opened
Jaipur: A 325-metre long 18th century open air tunnel, connecting Amber Palace to Jaigarh fort in Jaipur, was on Sunday inaugurated by Rajasthan tourism minster Bina Kak after its excavation and renovation.
"It is being inaugurated before the beginning of tourism season here and I hope that it will attract tourists, and also help elderly people to reach Jaigarh fort from Amer in a convenient manner in the carts," Kak told reporters.
The tunnel or passage was already open for tourists from Janana Dyodi to Rang Mahal in Amber fort and now it is open from Madho Singh Than near Rang Mahal (Amer) to Ganesh Pol in Jaigarh fort after the inauguration.
The open air tunnel (Madho Singh Than to Ganesh Pol), believed to be of 18th century, and inaugurated today, is a 325-metre long traditional cobbled pathway which was used by erstwhile rulers and now excavated by the government.
From Ganesh pole (a resting point) to Awani Gate (entry to Jaigarh) battery operated golf carts will be available to facilitate the visitors to reach the fort.
The project was undertaken in PPP mode between the government of Rajasthan and Jaigarh Public Charitable Trust.
Jaigarh fort, which houses the largest cannon on wheels called Jai Ban, is nestled in the Aravali hills ranges and below that, there is Amber fort and palace complex.
It is believed that the pathway was constructed probably in 18th century as a defence mechanism so that in case of an attack on Amber palace, the royal family and others could be evacuated undetected from the palace to the fort through this structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!