18th century tunnel connecting Amber to Jaigarh fort opened
Jaipur: A 325-metre long 18th century open air tunnel, connecting Amber Palace to Jaigarh fort in Jaipur, was on Sunday inaugurated by Rajasthan tourism minster Bina Kak after its excavation and renovation.
"It is being inaugurated before the beginning of tourism season here and I hope that it will attract tourists, and also help elderly people to reach Jaigarh fort from Amer in a convenient manner in the carts," Kak told reporters.
The tunnel or passage was already open for tourists from Janana Dyodi to Rang Mahal in Amber fort and now it is open from Madho Singh Than near Rang Mahal (Amer) to Ganesh Pol in Jaigarh fort after the inauguration.
The open air tunnel (Madho Singh Than to Ganesh Pol), believed to be of 18th century, and inaugurated today, is a 325-metre long traditional cobbled pathway which was used by erstwhile rulers and now excavated by the government.
From Ganesh pole (a resting point) to Awani Gate (entry to Jaigarh) battery operated golf carts will be available to facilitate the visitors to reach the fort.
The project was undertaken in PPP mode between the government of Rajasthan and Jaigarh Public Charitable Trust.
Jaigarh fort, which houses the largest cannon on wheels called Jai Ban, is nestled in the Aravali hills ranges and below that, there is Amber fort and palace complex.
It is believed that the pathway was constructed probably in 18th century as a defence mechanism so that in case of an attack on Amber palace, the royal family and others could be evacuated undetected from the palace to the fort through this structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi