19 killed as truck rams into two vehicles in Rajasthan
Jodhpur: At least 19 people were on Tuesday killed while 16 others, including six army jawans, injured when a truck rammed into two vehicles in Pali district of Rajasthan.
The truck lost its balance on National Highway-14 in Supermpur area near Netra village this evening when a car attempted to overtake it, said District Collector Neeraj K Pawan.
"The truck hit a tempo, carrying 25 pilgrims and an army jeep with six jawans. Eleven of them died on the spot while eight others died in hospital during treatment," he said.
The truck driver fled from the spot.
Sixteen persons were injured in the mishap, out of which four are stated to be in serious condition.
Eleven persons are currently undergoing treatment in Sumerpur hospital while six injured army jawans were rushed to army hospital in Jodhpur, and the Army has announced a court of inquiry into the matter.
The accident led to a traffic jam on NH-14 upto 3-4 km and police had to divert the traffic in order to de-congest the road.
"We rushed our ambulances to the spot immediately for the instant medical aid to our men, six of which have been brought to Jodhpur and have initiated a court of inquiry," said Col SD Goswami, a defence spokes person.
These jawans were going from Jodhpur to Udaipur.
Most of those who died were traveling in the tempo Trax and were going on a pilgrimage to Khetlaji near Sumperpur.
"All of them belong to Sirohi district," said the DC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says