20 injured in communal clashes in Jaipur
Jaipur: Over 20 people, including a dozen policemen, were injured in this Rajasthan capital following a violent clash between two communities on Thursday, officials said.
People hurled stones on the policemen who were trying to control the situation, torched a factory and damaged over a dozen cars, they added.
A senior police officer said that the clash started following a dispute over parking in the city`s Sanganer area around 4 p.m.
"Some people from two communities got into a verbal fight. Soon, hundreds of people from both sides started gathering. After pelting stones at houses, some groups of people went on rampage and torched a factory. They smashed the windows of several cars," said the officer.
In the stone pelting, Jaipur`s acting Commissioner of Police Biju Gorge Joseph, an additional deputy commissioner of police and an assistant commissioner of police sustained injuries, the officer added.
"Police had to resort to mild baton-charging. Over 500 policemen have been deployed in the area to restore law and order," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'