A place where Muslims celebrate Janmashtami
Jaipur: Not many people know about it, but Janmashtami, which marks the birth of Lord Krishna, is celebrated in a big way in a sacred place for the Muslim community in Rajasthan.
A three-day festival is organised at the Dargah of Narhar - also known as Dargah of Sharif Hazrat Hajib Shakarbar - situated near Chirawa in Jhunjhunu district, about 200 km from Jaipur.
"This festival is being organised here for the last 300-400 years and people of all communities come here. A main aim of this celebration is to promote Hindu-Muslim brotherhood," said dargah secretary Usman Ali Pathan.
People from many states including Maharashtra, Bihar, Delhi, Haryana, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh visit the dargah during the festival.
"Thousands of Hindus come here and offer flowers, chadar, coconut and sweets in the shrine," he said.
Over 400 shops come up in the vicinity during the festival time.
Qawalis, skits and dance dramas are organised on the night of Janmashtami, similar to the ones held in temples.
"It is difficult to say how and when this festival started, but we strongly feel it gives a true picture of national unity, as in one room you will find Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims staying together during the festival," Pathan said.
Newly-weds also come here to pray for a long and happy married life, he added.
Sushila, a newly-wed from Haryana, said she heard a lot about the festival.
"It is really astonishing to see people from all communities come here. I have just been married, over two months back, and my husband and I have come here to seek blessings," she said.
Rekha, a resident of a nearby village, said she has been coming here for the last couple of years. "It gives me mental peace and I enjoy the fair here," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore