Acharya Mahapragya passes away in Churu
Jaipur: Acharya Sree Mahapragya, the 10th
Acharya of Jain Swetambar Terapanth Samaj, died today due to
cardiac arrest at Sardarshehar in Churu district of Rajasthan. He was 90.
The funeral of Acharya Mahapragya will take place
tomorrow in the town, an office bearer of the samaj said.
The supreme head of Jain Swetambar Terapanth group, the
Acharya, was resting when he suffered a cardiac arrest and
died this afternoon at Terapanth ashram, they said.
Rajkumar Pugalia, Coordinator of Acharya Tulsi Mahapragya
Vichar Manch said over phone that the sect head was in
Sardarshehar for past few days to deliver preachings.
He informed that Yuvacharya Mahashraman of Sardarshehar
has been declared as the next and 11th supreme head of the
The Acharya, who promoted non-violence and led the Ahimsa
Yatra movement, was born on June 14, 1920 in Jhunjhunu
district of the state.
He traversed more than 1,00,000 kms on foot covering over
10,000 villages spreading the message of harmony and peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez