Ajmer case: Raj ATS to file charge sheet against Aseemanand
Jaipur: The Rajasthan ATS on Thursday said it
will file on April 8 a charge sheet in the Ajmer Dargah blast
case against Hindu right-wing activist Swami Aseemanand, who
has moved a court seeking to withdraw his application to turn
a witness in it.
59-year-old Aseemanand, who has made a confessional
statement that he and several other Sangh activists had a
direct role in Malegaon, Samjhauta Express, Ajmer and Mecca
masjid blasts, filed his application in the court of Chief
Judicial Magistrate, Ajmer, on Tuesday.
"Aseemanand has requested the court to reject his
earlier application in which he had wished to become a witness
in the Ajmer Dargah blast case. He has stated that he did not
wish to turn a witness," according to a senior officer of the
state`s Anti-Terror Squad.
He said the ATS will be filing a charge sheet against
the accused in the Ajmer case on April 8, when it comes up for
The officer said Aseemanand alleged in the court that
the investigating agencies were "not letting him hire a
However, the ATS said that the allegation was untrue
and that the accused had not been pressurised in any manner.
Meanwhile, Rajasthan`s Additional Chief Secretary
(Home) P K Deb said here that the Ajmer case is likely to be
handed over to the National Investigating Agency (NIA) as the
Central government feels that the same radical groups were
involved in Hyderabad`s Mecca Masjid, Malegaon and certain
"Ajmer Dargah blast case will be handed over to the NIA
after the chief minister`s approval. The Centre had forwarded
to us a proposal for the same some 25 days ago," Deb said.
"We after discussion with the state Anti-Terrorist
Squad (ATS) and the law department forwarded the file to Chief
Minister Ashok Gehlot and his approval is expected soon," he
"The Centre`s contention was that since the same
radical outfits were involved in the blasts in Ajmer Dargah,
Hyderabad`s Mecca Masjid and Malegaon, the case should be
investigated by the NIA," the officer said.
Aseemamand alias Jatin Chatterjee, who was arrested on
November 19, last year by the CBI in connection with the Mecca
Masjid blast case, had given his confessional statement in a
court in Delhi on December 18 last year. He was taken into
custody by the Rajasthan ATS on January 22 following a court
The 2007 blast at the Dargah of Khawaja Moinuddin
Chishti in Ajmer had left three persons dead and 15
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics