Alva seeks report on tunnel mishap, flays public apathy
Jaipur: Rajasthan Governor Margaret Alva has sought report from the state government over a road mishap inside a tunnel here in which a 26-year old woman and her infant daughter were killed on Sunday.
"I am deeply saddened and disturbed by our response, as a society, to the unfortunate accident that claimed the lives of a mother and daughter at `Ghat ki Guni` tunnel in Jaipur on Sunday," she said in a statement today while condoling the deaths.
"Unfortunately, the first reaction in such situations or perhaps, most situations -- is to blame the Government. I have asked for a detailed report from the Government on the accident at `Ghat ki Ghuni` and reason for the delay in help reaching them," Alva said.
The governor, expressing hopes that the state government will consider ways to make driving through the tunnel safer, also stressed on the need for fresh initiatives to restore the basic values of care and compassion in the society.
26-year-old woman Guddi and her eight-month-old daughter Aarushi were killed when the motorcycle they were travelling in was hit by a speeding truck inside the newly opened tunnel here on Sunday. However, the woman`s husband and son escaped with minor injuries.
Police said the injured husband kept crying for help for around 40 minutes but the motorists ignored their cries and every vehicle passed by without stopping delaying prompt medical treatment.
Recalling the Delhi gang-rape incident, she said many passers-by unfortunately had also simply looked but did not stop to help a rape victim.
"It is high time that all of us- citizens, policy makers, media and intellectuals - deliberate on why we, as a society, are becoming insensitive," she pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune