Another newborn girl killed in Rajasthan
Jaipur: The body of a newborn girl was found in Rajasthan, bringing to the fore the plight of the girl child in a state that suffers from a skewed sex ratio.
The police found the newborn`s body in a canal near Naugama, a small village in Banswara district.
"We got a call from a local resident informing us about the body. We have launched investigations and registered a case against an unidentified woman," a police official told IANS on phone from Banswara.
Rajasthan among other states has recently been in the news due to increasing cases of female foeticide and infanticide. Poverty, ignorance about family planning, high dowry etc have been reported as the possible causes for this crime.
As per the 2001 census, the sex ratio in the state stands at 922 females per 1,000 males.
According to a volunteer working with a local NGO, requesting not to be named, said that earlier families used to practice female foeticide, but "after the government announced monetary incentives for couples with a girl child they want to take the money offered under certain government schemes like Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY), for having babies delivered in hospitals".
"They prefer to deliver their babies in hospitals with an eye on the money offered. However, soon after leaving the hospital, the newborn girls disappear. In some cases they are killed while in others the families just throw them away," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh