Army Chief Bikram Singh reviews Cavalry parade
Jaipur: Indian Army Chief General Bikram Singh on Sunday reviewed a spectacular parade of 61 Cavalry, the only horse-mounted cavalry of the force here, to mark its raising day.
The unit has the distinction of being awarded a Padma Shri and 10 Arjuna awards for outstanding performance in the field of equestrian sports in major events.
This was the Army chief`s first visit to the regiment since taking over as the Colonel of the Regiment, according to Jodhpur-based defence spokesperson Col SD Goswami.
South Western Army Commander Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan and 61 Sub Area General Officer Commanding Maj Gen KJS Thind too took salute at the parade held at the Cavalry Ground here.
"Apart from the remarkable drills, skills of horsemanship and ceremonial regalia associated with every army parade, what made the event very special is the fact that 61 Cavalry is the only mounted horse cavalry regiment of the Indian Army," Goswami said.
"At the parade, the regiment in ceremonial regalia mounted on 221 resplendently groomed horses made a breath taking sight. The parade displayed the superb quality of horsemanship, discipline and morale of the regiment," he said.
The regiment paraded in walk, trot and gallop, in formations of eight, four and twelve.
The unit historically comprising of Gwalior Lancers, Jodhpur/Kachhawa Horse, Mysore Lancers, 2 Patiala Lancers and Saurashtra Horsed Cavalry State Forces.
It celebrated its 59th year of raising in its present form and commemorated the historical cavalry battle at Haifa (the then Turkish-held Palestine) in 1918 by the erstwhile state forces cavalry units.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency