Army engineer sent to judicial custody
Jodhpur: A local court in Jodhpur on Wednesday remanded
Commander Works Engineer (CWE) of Military Engineering Service
(MES) R K Bansal in 15 days` judicial custody.
Bansal, who was caught by CBI and police while allegedly
taking a bribe of Rs 50,000 in Sriganganagar district last
week, was produced before the local CBI court where the
magistrate ordered the judicial custody for him.
Another Army official Major A Roy, who is under the Army
custody, is being interrogated by the CBI here for the last
two days in connection with a separate graft case.
Both the officials working with MES were nabbed in
separate cases of graft in different cantonments in
Sriganganagar district on December 29 during a joint operation
by CBI and police.
Bansal was caught taking bribe of Rs 50,000, while Roy was
found taking Rs 20,000 as bribe. Contractors had filed
complaints against them, alleging that they used to take money
to clear their bills.
"Major Roy is under the Army custody in Army cantonment in
Jodhpur. The army has retained his custody but he is brought
at the local CBI office for interrogation," a CBI official
"Initially, he was denying his involvement in the case but
we have his voice recording and other evidences and we are
hopeful that he would confess to his crime," he said.
On the other hand, defence spokesman S D Goswami said the
Army is cooperating with the CBI. "We are extending
cooperation to CBI inquiry process," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister