Army engineer sent to judicial custody
Jodhpur: A local court in Jodhpur on Wednesday remanded
Commander Works Engineer (CWE) of Military Engineering Service
(MES) R K Bansal in 15 days` judicial custody.
Bansal, who was caught by CBI and police while allegedly
taking a bribe of Rs 50,000 in Sriganganagar district last
week, was produced before the local CBI court where the
magistrate ordered the judicial custody for him.
Another Army official Major A Roy, who is under the Army
custody, is being interrogated by the CBI here for the last
two days in connection with a separate graft case.
Both the officials working with MES were nabbed in
separate cases of graft in different cantonments in
Sriganganagar district on December 29 during a joint operation
by CBI and police.
Bansal was caught taking bribe of Rs 50,000, while Roy was
found taking Rs 20,000 as bribe. Contractors had filed
complaints against them, alleging that they used to take money
to clear their bills.
"Major Roy is under the Army custody in Army cantonment in
Jodhpur. The army has retained his custody but he is brought
at the local CBI office for interrogation," a CBI official
"Initially, he was denying his involvement in the case but
we have his voice recording and other evidences and we are
hopeful that he would confess to his crime," he said.
On the other hand, defence spokesman S D Goswami said the
Army is cooperating with the CBI. "We are extending
cooperation to CBI inquiry process," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender