Army Major dismissal recommended, awarded 3-year RI
Jaipur: An Army Court has recommended dismissal of a Major and awarded him three-year jail term after he was found guilty of four charges including communicating information to a foreign national and improperly accepting Rs 17.5 lakh from her.
A General Court Martial (GCM), consisting of five members as jury, was conducted to try Major Saurabh Saharan of the 61 Cavalry (presently posted to 2 Lancers) which commenced here on April 16, 2012 and concluded in February this year.
The GCM found Major Saharan guilty of four charges and sentenced him to be cashiered and awarded 3-year rigorous imprisonment, Defence spokesperson Col S D Goswami said.
"The findings and sentence of the GCM are subject to confirmation by the Competent Authority," he said.
A US national, Nancy Chapman, had filed a complaint addressed to the Chief of Army Staff against the officer.
The officer was tried for numerous charges including communicating information to a foreign national regarding official functioning contrary to the Indian Official Secrets Act, 1923, and improperly accepting Rs 17.5 lakh from her.
He was also tried for improperly remaining in contact with the US national contrary to instructions contained in Contact with Foreign Nationals` (Army Act section 63), amassing assets disproportionate to his known sources of income and making a false statement knowing fully well that the statement was false (Army Act Section 57 (a)), according to Goswami.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler