Army officers felicitated in Jaipur
Jaipur: Army officers and Jawans were on Wednesday honoured with gallantry and distinguished services awards in an Investiture Ceremony organised by the Army`s Southern Command at Jodhpur military station.
Southern Army Command Lt Gen Ashok Singh felicitated the officers in the ceremony held to mark Army day.
The awards presented were three Yudh Seva Medals, 14 Sena Medals (Gallantry), 12 Vishisht Seva Medals, one Bar to Sena Medal (Distinguished) and three Sena Medals (Distinguished).
"The recipients of gallantry awards exhibited bravery and valour of an exceptional order while discharging their duties in various parts of the country, including the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir, the impenetrable forests of the North-East and even under the flag of UN in Congo," Defence Spokesperson Col S D Goswami said.
Lt Gen Singh bestowed the `Southern Army Commander`s Unit Appreciation` on 12 units of the Southern Command for their meritorious and outstanding performance.?
Army Day is celebrated every year on January 15 to mark the taking over of Indian Army by the first Indian Commander-in-Chief, Lieutenant General (Later Field Marshal) K M Cariappa on January 15, 1948.
He took over the reins of the Indian Army from the last British Commander-in-Chief Lieutenant General Sir Francis Butcher. The day is marked by ceremonial events in all military stations and cantonments across India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried