Army officers felicitated in Jaipur
Jaipur: Army officers and Jawans were on Wednesday honoured with gallantry and distinguished services awards in an Investiture Ceremony organised by the Army`s Southern Command at Jodhpur military station.
Southern Army Command Lt Gen Ashok Singh felicitated the officers in the ceremony held to mark Army day.
The awards presented were three Yudh Seva Medals, 14 Sena Medals (Gallantry), 12 Vishisht Seva Medals, one Bar to Sena Medal (Distinguished) and three Sena Medals (Distinguished).
"The recipients of gallantry awards exhibited bravery and valour of an exceptional order while discharging their duties in various parts of the country, including the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir, the impenetrable forests of the North-East and even under the flag of UN in Congo," Defence Spokesperson Col S D Goswami said.
Lt Gen Singh bestowed the `Southern Army Commander`s Unit Appreciation` on 12 units of the Southern Command for their meritorious and outstanding performance.?
Army Day is celebrated every year on January 15 to mark the taking over of Indian Army by the first Indian Commander-in-Chief, Lieutenant General (Later Field Marshal) K M Cariappa on January 15, 1948.
He took over the reins of the Indian Army from the last British Commander-in-Chief Lieutenant General Sir Francis Butcher. The day is marked by ceremonial events in all military stations and cantonments across India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list