Asaram seeks media gag order from court
Jodhpur: Asaram Bapu, who has been arrested for sexually assaulting a minor, has moved a court here Friday seeking a direction restraining media from reporting on the issue.
Claiming that the media reports were derogatory and had maligned Asaram`s image, his counsel Pradeep Choudhary, in the application to the District and Session Court, said that the investigative agency should not be allowed to "leak, pass or share" any information to the media in relation to the case.
He stated that these "raw and unsubstantiated" information are not only damaging for his client but are also projecting a one sided picture and are a stumbling block in fair investigation.
He urged the court to issue any order, which it deemed fit, in the interest of the case and his client.
Court has listed the matter for hearing on September 10.
The controversial 72-year-old self-styled godman, accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl, was arrested by Jodhpur police after midnight from his ashram in Indore on August 31.
He is currently in Jodhpur jail under judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch
- Afzal Guru event: JNU panel holds 21 students 'guilty of indiscipline'; no relief to Umar, Anirban
- Water shortage may have led to demise of Maya civilisation
- Sakshi Malik announced brand ambassador of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign in Haryana