Asaram seeks media gag order from court
Jodhpur: Asaram Bapu, who has been arrested for sexually assaulting a minor, has moved a court here Friday seeking a direction restraining media from reporting on the issue.
Claiming that the media reports were derogatory and had maligned Asaram`s image, his counsel Pradeep Choudhary, in the application to the District and Session Court, said that the investigative agency should not be allowed to "leak, pass or share" any information to the media in relation to the case.
He stated that these "raw and unsubstantiated" information are not only damaging for his client but are also projecting a one sided picture and are a stumbling block in fair investigation.
He urged the court to issue any order, which it deemed fit, in the interest of the case and his client.
Court has listed the matter for hearing on September 10.
The controversial 72-year-old self-styled godman, accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl, was arrested by Jodhpur police after midnight from his ashram in Indore on August 31.
He is currently in Jodhpur jail under judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured