Asaram seeks media gag order from court
Jodhpur: Asaram Bapu, who has been arrested for sexually assaulting a minor, has moved a court here Friday seeking a direction restraining media from reporting on the issue.
Claiming that the media reports were derogatory and had maligned Asaram`s image, his counsel Pradeep Choudhary, in the application to the District and Session Court, said that the investigative agency should not be allowed to "leak, pass or share" any information to the media in relation to the case.
He stated that these "raw and unsubstantiated" information are not only damaging for his client but are also projecting a one sided picture and are a stumbling block in fair investigation.
He urged the court to issue any order, which it deemed fit, in the interest of the case and his client.
Court has listed the matter for hearing on September 10.
The controversial 72-year-old self-styled godman, accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl, was arrested by Jodhpur police after midnight from his ashram in Indore on August 31.
He is currently in Jodhpur jail under judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir LIVE: Violence at student organisations' protest in Coimbatore, 5 students injured
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog