Asaram’s aide surrenders before Jodhpur court in sexual assault case
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Jodhpur: Self-styled godman Asaram Bapu’s close aide Shilpi, who was absconding for weeks after the spiritual guru’s arrest in the sexual assault case, on Wednesday surrendered in the Jodhpur session court.
Shilpi, Chhindwara Gurukul Ashram hostel warden, is a co-accused in the case of alleged sexual assault of a teenage girl by the spiritual guru. Shilpi had allegedly advised the girl`s parents to take her to Asaram to "ward off evil souls" leading to the sexual assault.
Her anticipatory bail plea has been rejected by the Jodhpur High Court. Earlier, the Jodhpur police claimed her arrest would only make things difficult for Asaram.
Police had launched a massive manhunt to get hold of Shilpi. Multiple teams raided at different places.
Asaram has been in jail since Spetember 2. His personal attendent Shiva is also in jail with him.
Earlier, the police had rubbished reports which claimed that Asaram and Shilpi had physical relations.
Asaram has denied that he assaulted the teenage girl, however, his aides had told the police during investigation that the spiritual guru had spent an hour with the victim alone.
He told her parents that he has to perform exorcism to rid her of the evil spirits that possess her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi