Asaram`s demand for special facilities in jail rejected
Jodhpur: Forced into the confinement of jail after his bail plea was rejected, self-styled godman Asaram Bapu today sought for his routine diet, gangajal and a special bed besides other facilities which were denied by the jail administration.
His counsel Pradeep Choudhary said Asaram had sought facilities such as his routine food which includes herbs and medicines, gangajal, bed, books and some other material required for his prayer
"These demands had been made to the jail administration as per jail rules but they were rejected. The rule has a provision under which if any prisoner (undertrial) wants reasonable facilities in the jail, he can be provided upon the discretion of the jail administration.
"All these demands are reasonable considering his age and should be made available to him but since the jail administration rejected the demand, we have to move to the court," said Choudhary.
Reacting to the application moved by the defence regarding special facilities to Asaram in jail, counsel of the prosecution Pradhyumn Singh said they will oppose the demand as he has been declared fit.
"We have gone through the application, the arguments over which, will be held on Thursday.
We will oppose the facilities as Asaram has repeatedly been declared fit and healthy in each of the medical examination, so shall be treated as an ordinary prisoner," he said.
Jail superintendent Rakesh Mohan Sharma said Asaram was subjected to medical examination twice today and was found to be fit both times.
Meanwhile, Asaram met some lawyers of Supreme Court in the jail today to discuss the future course of action.
72-year-old Asaram was sent to jail on Monday after he was remanded in 14-day judicial custody by a court here.
Asaram was arrested in Indore following an FIR lodged by ng a 16-year-old girl that she was sexually assaulted by him.
His bail plea was rejected today by a Jodhpur court after the prosecution raised strong objection to setting him free.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum