Awards for Rajasthan sportspersons only if no links with RSS, Jamaat
Jaipur: In a bizarre move, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot’s government has decided that sportspersons having any connection with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) or the Jamaat-e-Islami will not be entitled for government awards.
A news channel on Saturday reported that only the sportspersons who have signed an affidavit saying they don’t have any links with RSS or Jamaat-e-Islami are being given state government awards.
Weightlifter Vishal Singh, who was awarded Rs 23 lakhs after winning a gold medal, was asked to sign the affidavit.
Speaking to the news channel, Singh said he was made to sign the affidavit which said he didn`t have any connections with the RSS or Jamaat-e-Islami. He said that if he didn`t sign the affidavit, he wouldn`t get the money.
The RSS has strongly objected to the Gehlot government’s move saying that the Congress is playing vendetta politics.
Members of ABVP, youth wing of BJP, yesterday protested at an awards function organised by the RSSC against the sportspersons being made to give the affidavits.
The protestors shouted slogans and had a scuffle with police who tried to stop from entering the stadium.
"RSS is not a terrorist organisation, but is devoted to the service of the nation. Had the affidavit been restricted to communal organisation, it would have been ok, but associating it with RSS is a wrong move which will not be digested. We demand immediate withdrawal of it," Kailash Nath Bhatt, BJP spokesman for state, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand