Awards for Rajasthan sportspersons only if no links with RSS, Jamaat
Jaipur: In a bizarre move, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot’s government has decided that sportspersons having any connection with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) or the Jamaat-e-Islami will not be entitled for government awards.
A news channel on Saturday reported that only the sportspersons who have signed an affidavit saying they don’t have any links with RSS or Jamaat-e-Islami are being given state government awards.
Weightlifter Vishal Singh, who was awarded Rs 23 lakhs after winning a gold medal, was asked to sign the affidavit.
Speaking to the news channel, Singh said he was made to sign the affidavit which said he didn`t have any connections with the RSS or Jamaat-e-Islami. He said that if he didn`t sign the affidavit, he wouldn`t get the money.
The RSS has strongly objected to the Gehlot government’s move saying that the Congress is playing vendetta politics.
Members of ABVP, youth wing of BJP, yesterday protested at an awards function organised by the RSSC against the sportspersons being made to give the affidavits.
The protestors shouted slogans and had a scuffle with police who tried to stop from entering the stadium.
"RSS is not a terrorist organisation, but is devoted to the service of the nation. Had the affidavit been restricted to communal organisation, it would have been ok, but associating it with RSS is a wrong move which will not be digested. We demand immediate withdrawal of it," Kailash Nath Bhatt, BJP spokesman for state, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’