Banasthali unrest: Police clueless about victims
Jaipur: NCW will probe the alleged cover up of two rape cases in Banasthali Vidyapith that triggered student unrest, even as police formed a special team to investigate the incidents but remained clueless about victims` identity.
Police on Saturday said a hostel warden arrested in connection with the incident yesterday was released on bail few hours later, while ambulance driver Nehru, nabbed for allegedly molesting a girl, is being interrogated.
A five-member special team comprising three Deputy SPs and two Sub Inspectors has been formed to probe the matter, Additional SP, Prem Singh said, adding, "The students alleged that two girls were raped in the campus last months but the victims are anonymous."
National Commission for Women chairperson Mamta Sharma said today that a team of the commission will visit the campus on Monday to start its course of investigation.
"I am speaking to the DGP and the Chief Secretary and will send a three member team to Banasthali on Monday. There may be irregularities and we will look into every aspect," she said.
Condemning the alleged incidents, BJP leader Ravishankar Prasad and CPI-M leader Brinda Karat today demanded a thorough probe in the matter.
Over a thousand girl students had laid a siege on Thursday night accusing the management of covering up two rape cases in the university. They also took out a protest march in Banasthali against the management yesterday.
Hostel warden Lalita was arrested yesterday for locking two girls in a room on Thursday night after they demanded thorough probe into the alleged rapes.
Additional SP said, "The complaint, which the students gave to us, has no name of the victim. We spoke to few girls, but things are not very clear."
BJP MLA Ravishankar today told reporters, "It is very unfortunate and the matter should be investigated properly," in BJP state office here. Karat, who was in Udaipur, also demanded a fair probe in the matter.
Banasthali Vidyapith is a high-profile fully residential women`s deemed university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her