Bhanwari case: CBI plea for narco test rejected
Jodhpur: In a setback to CBI, a court on Tuesday
turned down its plea for undertaking narco-analysis, brain
mapping and polygraph tests on Shahabuddin, a key accused in
Bhanwari Devi disappearance case, despite the agency pleading
that it was the "only ray of hope" to crack the case.
The CBI had moved an application in the CBI court for the
lie-detection and other tests on November 9, citing
Shahabuddin`s non cooperation in investigation.
"The CBI has so far not been able to extract substantial
information from him and this is the only ray of hope for it
in order to extract some crucial information leading to
cracking of the case," CBI counsel SS Yadav argued in the
Besides, the CBI also wanted to verify the information it
has so far obtained from Shahabuddin during interrogation,
But the counsel for Shahabuddin objected to the CBI`s
request, citing a ruling of the Supreme Court according to
which the consent of the accused is requisite for these tests.
The court had yesterday heard the arguments from both the
sides and reserved its order.
The court today declined to give the permission for these
tests on Shahabuddin.
Earlier, the court had also rejected the plea of the
police for undertaking polygraph test on another suspect Sohan
Lal Bishnoi, who is also under judicial custody.
Shahabuddin had surrendered on 22 October and after 15
days of interrogation by CBI, he was sent to judicial custody.
Bhanwari, 36, a nurse at the sub-centre in Jaliwada
village, went missing on September 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city