Bhanwari case: CBI plea for narco test rejected
Jodhpur: In a setback to CBI, a court on Tuesday
turned down its plea for undertaking narco-analysis, brain
mapping and polygraph tests on Shahabuddin, a key accused in
Bhanwari Devi disappearance case, despite the agency pleading
that it was the "only ray of hope" to crack the case.
The CBI had moved an application in the CBI court for the
lie-detection and other tests on November 9, citing
Shahabuddin`s non cooperation in investigation.
"The CBI has so far not been able to extract substantial
information from him and this is the only ray of hope for it
in order to extract some crucial information leading to
cracking of the case," CBI counsel SS Yadav argued in the
Besides, the CBI also wanted to verify the information it
has so far obtained from Shahabuddin during interrogation,
But the counsel for Shahabuddin objected to the CBI`s
request, citing a ruling of the Supreme Court according to
which the consent of the accused is requisite for these tests.
The court had yesterday heard the arguments from both the
sides and reserved its order.
The court today declined to give the permission for these
tests on Shahabuddin.
Earlier, the court had also rejected the plea of the
police for undertaking polygraph test on another suspect Sohan
Lal Bishnoi, who is also under judicial custody.
Shahabuddin had surrendered on 22 October and after 15
days of interrogation by CBI, he was sent to judicial custody.
Bhanwari, 36, a nurse at the sub-centre in Jaliwada
village, went missing on September 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal