Bhanwari case: Maderna sent to police custody
Jodhpur: Former Rajasthan minister Mahipal Maderna was on Saturday sent to police custody till December 9 in connection with the case of missing nurse Bhanwari Devi.
Maderna was produced before a Jodhpur court today, a day after he was arrested by the CBI in in connection with the case.
Maderna was arrested along with Parasram Bishnoi, who is the brother of Congress legislator from Luni constituency Malkhan Singh Bishnoi.
On Friday, the CBI had also filed a chargesheet against three arrested accused persons.
In the chargesheet filed before the court, Shahabuddin, Baliya and Sohanlal have been charged with Section 364 (abduction with an intent to kill) and 120 B (criminal conspiracy) of Indian Penal Code and various sections of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act in the case.
The agency in the chargesheet alleged that the three arrested accused along with some other unknown persons conspired to abduct Bhanwari Devi to eliminate her.
Bhanwari Devi, 36, went missing on September 1 before which she was in possession of a CD allegedly showing her and Maderna in a compromising position.
Bhanwari Devi had gone missing from Jodhpur`s Bilara area on September 1. On October 16, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot sacked Maderna from the Cabinet over allegations that he had a role in her disappearance as she was blackmailing him on the basis of the CD.
Her husband Amar Chand tried to locate her by making repeated cell phone calls, but she was untraceable.
Chand had also alleged that she was kidnapped at the behest of Maderna, who denied the charge.
The chargesheet was filed as the 90-day deadline following the arrest of the three accused was about to expire. The CBI also sought time to continue investigation.
Rajasthan`s opposition Bharatiya Janata Party called for a transparent investigation into the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH