Bhanwari case: Rajasthan HC raps state government
Jodhpur: In a rap to the Ashok Gehlot
government, the Rajasthan High Court on Tuesday raised question on
its intention of solving the controversial Bhanwari Devi
A division bench comprising Justices Govind Mathur and N
K Jain questioned the significance of the progress report of
police investigation so far.
The Jodhpur bench of the high court court was hearing the
habeas corpus petition filed by Amarchand, husband of the
Government counsel Pradhyuman Singh was directed to
produce the progress report of the police by October 13.
Hearing on the matter will now take place on every alternate
Referring to Water Resources Minister Mahipal Maderna,
the court remarked that the government is acting "hand in
gloves" to save the minister and ascribed it as an example of
escapism on the part of the government.
The bench, while pointing to the names emerging in the
case, also asked whether they have been questioned in the
"This is an example of extremely poor supervision of the
case on the part of the government," the court pointed out.
The judges termed the referring of the case to the CBI
within two weeks of filing the FIR as the government`s attempt
to demoralise the police.
"If government considers the police to be inefficient,
then all the cases should be referred to the CBI," the bench
The CBI`s charter having details of the facilities to be
provided to its probe team also drew criticism from the bench.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter