Bhanwari case: Rajasthan minister on way out
Jaipur: Rajasthan`s Water Resources Minister
Mahipal Maderna, who is suspected to be involved in the case
of mysterious disappearance of nurse Bhanwari Devi, is being
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot is understood to
have decided to send to the state Governor his recommendation
to remove Maderna from the government after his attempt to get
his resignation failed.
Sources said Gehlot had told the minister earlier to
resign after his name cropped up in the case but he refused to
In view of position taken by Maderna, the Chief Minister
is believed to have decided to sack him, they said.
The CBI had on October 11 taken over probe into the case
of disappearance of Bhanwari Devi in which allegations about
Maderna`s involvement have been levelled.
The agency has registered a case in this regard after
the Rajasthan government requested the Centre last month to
hand it over to the agency.
Devi (36), who was posted as auxiliary nurse midwife at a
sub-centre in Jaliwada village, around 120 km from Jodhpur
district, went missing on September 1. Her husband Amarchand
has alleged that she was abducted at the behest of Maderna and
his associates. These charges have been refuted by the
minister and his associates.
The nurse last registered her presence at the sub-centre
on August 24 and was absent after that. Locals say she led a
lavish lifestyle and had political connections.
Her name had sprung up sometime back after a CD which
allegedly showed her in compromising position with the
minister and an MLA was circulated.
The Jodhpur police have already announced a cash reward of
Rs 4,000 for any information regarding Bhanwari. The police
had arrested a contractor Sohana Lal Vishnoi soon after she
The woman had sold her car to Vishnoi and was on her way
to collect payment from him in Bilada on September 1 when she
disappeared, according to police sources.
A few persons were also rounded up from Sikar district
who told police that the woman was allegedly murdered by a
gang in Uttar Pradesh, they said.
Bhanwari, mother of two girls and a son, had also worked
in a few local music video albums.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?