Bhanwari case: Rajasthan minister on way out
Jaipur: Rajasthan`s Water Resources Minister
Mahipal Maderna, who is suspected to be involved in the case
of mysterious disappearance of nurse Bhanwari Devi, is being
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot is understood to
have decided to send to the state Governor his recommendation
to remove Maderna from the government after his attempt to get
his resignation failed.
Sources said Gehlot had told the minister earlier to
resign after his name cropped up in the case but he refused to
In view of position taken by Maderna, the Chief Minister
is believed to have decided to sack him, they said.
The CBI had on October 11 taken over probe into the case
of disappearance of Bhanwari Devi in which allegations about
Maderna`s involvement have been levelled.
The agency has registered a case in this regard after
the Rajasthan government requested the Centre last month to
hand it over to the agency.
Devi (36), who was posted as auxiliary nurse midwife at a
sub-centre in Jaliwada village, around 120 km from Jodhpur
district, went missing on September 1. Her husband Amarchand
has alleged that she was abducted at the behest of Maderna and
his associates. These charges have been refuted by the
minister and his associates.
The nurse last registered her presence at the sub-centre
on August 24 and was absent after that. Locals say she led a
lavish lifestyle and had political connections.
Her name had sprung up sometime back after a CD which
allegedly showed her in compromising position with the
minister and an MLA was circulated.
The Jodhpur police have already announced a cash reward of
Rs 4,000 for any information regarding Bhanwari. The police
had arrested a contractor Sohana Lal Vishnoi soon after she
The woman had sold her car to Vishnoi and was on her way
to collect payment from him in Bilada on September 1 when she
disappeared, according to police sources.
A few persons were also rounded up from Sikar district
who told police that the woman was allegedly murdered by a
gang in Uttar Pradesh, they said.
Bhanwari, mother of two girls and a son, had also worked
in a few local music video albums.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- WATCH: BRILLIANT! This airline's touching gesture on Dipa Karmakar's arrival in Agartala
- Happy to be working during pregnancy: Kareena Kapoor Khan
- Pfizer says acquiring biotech firm Medivation for $14 billion
- Asian Filmmaker award posthumously for Abbas Kiarostami at Busan
- Infosys denies laying off 500 people, says 'few' asked to leave for non-performance