Bhanwari Devi case: CBI arrests husband Amar Chand
Jaipur: In a latest development in the investigations of missing Rajasthan nurse Bhanwari Devi, the CBI on Wednesday arrested her husband Amar Chand after he gave conflicting versions during questioning and remained "un-cooperative". Amar Chand was arrested after various rounds of interrogations by the central agency.
The arrest of Amar Chand comes as the CBI has now focussed attention on his claims and activities on the day Bhanwari Devi went missing, agency sources said.
The sources said continuous flip-flop by Amar Chand on his claims and his refusal to identify some jewellery of Bhanwari Devi even though his children did so prompted the agency to take him into custody.
"The Central Bureau of Investigation has today arrested husband of Bhanwari Devi in an on-going investigation in a case relating to her alleged abduction. He has been examined by CBI in this connection," CBI spokesperson Dharini Mishra said in New Delhi.
Yesterday, Amar Chand had allegedly attempted to escape from the CBI questioning centre when confronted with some disturbing questions by the sleuths regarding the case of alleged abduction and murder of Bhanwari Devi.
Sources in the agency said that he was immediately overpowered but remained uncooperative during the questioning session.
CBI has started probing the activities of Amar Chand and is not ruling out his role in the entire episode, they said.
It called him for questioning at the circuit house here but during most of the session his answers could not convince the sleuths.
Earlier yesterday, Amar Chand had also moved a fresh application before the CBI court in which he sought to know the progress made so far in tracing his wife.
His Counsel Manish Vyas claimed that Amar Chand was being "pressurised unnecessarily" by the CBI.
Meanwhile, Maderna, who was sacked from Ashok Gehlot Cabinet in October after his name cropped up in the case, was today brought here from Delhi by the agency for further questioning in the case.
He was taken to the CBI local office from the airport and would be produced before a CBI court here tomorrow following expiry of his custody.
Maderna was taken to Delhi for interrogation on Sunday.
A CD allegedly showing Maderna in compromising position with Bhanwari had come to light after she went missing.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog