Bhanwari Devi trial to begin from April 20
Jodhpur: The trial of Bhanwari Devi abduction
and murder case would begin in a local here from April 20.
The ST/SC court gave this date after pleas from both
All the 13 accused (except Pukhraj, Dinesh, Reshmaram
and absconding Indira) were produced in the court on Monday after
the committal of the case from the CBI court.
After the court expressed its wish to start the trial,
the counsels of both the sides requested the court to defer
the trial till April 20.
They argued that the chargesheet of the remaining accused
is to be filed yet so the trail of all the accused could be
Admitting the pleas, the court listed the matter for
trial on April 20.
Sohan Lal, Shahbuddin, Balia, Mahipal, Malkhan, Parasram,
Sahiram, Umesharam, Amarchand, Bishnaram, Ashok, Omprakash and
Kailash were produced in the court today.
All the accused except absconding Indira Bishnoi, who
is the sister of ruling party MLA Malkhan Singh, are behind
bars for their alleged involvement in the case.
Bhanwari Devi, 36, had gone missing from Jodhpur`s
Bilara area on September one last year following which her
husband Amarchand, who is now in jail, had filed a habeas
corpus petition in the High Court.
After the state government ordered a CBI probe into the
case, the agency arrested Mahipal Maderna and Congress MLA
Malkhan Singh in December last year for their alleged
involvement in the case.
Soon after her death, a sleaze CD was circulated
allegedly featuring Maderna and Bhanwari.
Maderna was removed by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot from
his ministry in October after his name cropped up in the case.
Agency sources had said that Maderna and Malkhan Singh
were being blackmailed by Bhanwari Devi who was allegedly
having relations with them and threatened to expose them which
led to her killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars