Bitti Mohanty remanded to judicial custody in Rajasthan
Alwar: A designated court in Rajasthan remanded Bitty Mohanty, alias Raghav Rajan, who was absconding after jumping parole in 2006 from a jail in the state, to judicial custody.
Lawyer of Raghav Rajan, Ramesh Dayal, said on Monday, that his client was remanded judicial custody. He has also been granted bail.
Ramesh Dayal said that the Jaipur police had argued their case before the court, but the court rejected the arguments, as it was not yet decided, whether the arrested individual was Bitti Mohanty or Rajan.
The court rejected the production warrant and remanded the accused to judicial custody on the basis of an ongoing case against him in Kerala. The accused has also been granted bail, he said.
A local court in Alwar district of Rajasthan had earlier convicted Mohanty for raping his German friend in 2006. But he was released in November 2006 on parole to meet his ailing mother at Cuttack. He has been missing since then.
An individual, claiming to be Raghav Rajan, was arrested from Kerala in March this year for allegedly being Bitti Mohanty. Kerala police had maintained that Bitty had changed his identity and had secured a bank job with the false identity of `Raghav Rajan`.
Meanwhile, the arrested individual had been insisting that he was Raghav Rajan. Bitti is the son of former Director General of Police (DGP) in Odisha, BB Mohanty. Bitti had also been charged for impersonation, cheating and forgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Brexit shockwaves hit British jobs, consumer confidence
- Mandsaur Muslim women assault case: Four accused held as victims narrate tale of horror
- Rupee rules firm for 3rd day, up 10 paise to 67.04 Vs USD
- Mehbooba Mufti's Burhan Wani bombshell - WATCH what exactly she said
- BELIEVE IT OR NOT! This cricket team was bowled out of just 3 runs – Details inside