Bitti Mohanty remanded to judicial custody in Rajasthan
Alwar: A designated court in Rajasthan remanded Bitty Mohanty, alias Raghav Rajan, who was absconding after jumping parole in 2006 from a jail in the state, to judicial custody.
Lawyer of Raghav Rajan, Ramesh Dayal, said on Monday, that his client was remanded judicial custody. He has also been granted bail.
Ramesh Dayal said that the Jaipur police had argued their case before the court, but the court rejected the arguments, as it was not yet decided, whether the arrested individual was Bitti Mohanty or Rajan.
The court rejected the production warrant and remanded the accused to judicial custody on the basis of an ongoing case against him in Kerala. The accused has also been granted bail, he said.
A local court in Alwar district of Rajasthan had earlier convicted Mohanty for raping his German friend in 2006. But he was released in November 2006 on parole to meet his ailing mother at Cuttack. He has been missing since then.
An individual, claiming to be Raghav Rajan, was arrested from Kerala in March this year for allegedly being Bitti Mohanty. Kerala police had maintained that Bitty had changed his identity and had secured a bank job with the false identity of `Raghav Rajan`.
Meanwhile, the arrested individual had been insisting that he was Raghav Rajan. Bitti is the son of former Director General of Police (DGP) in Odisha, BB Mohanty. Bitti had also been charged for impersonation, cheating and forgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister