BJP demands withdrawal of power tariff hike
Jaipur: BJP activists on Saturday courted arrest after a demonstration at Civil Lines railway crossing here to protest the hike in power tariff in Rajasthan and demanded its withdrawal saying it would increase inflation.
"The state government has increased electricity rates which is an unjustified move at the time when inflation is so high," BJP state president Arun Chaturvedi said at the rally.
"The rates hike will not only affect people but also increase inflation further and the decision should be withdrawn," the BJP leader said.
The activists led by Chaturvedi, Deputy leader of Opposition in Rajasthan Assembly Ghanshyam Tiwari and other senior leaders carried out protest rally from the BJP`s state headquarters to civil lines railway crossing.
After the protest, BJP leaders courted arrest.
The state electricity regulatory commission revised power tariff recently which was enforced yesterday.
The hike is 25 paise to 80 paise per unit for consumers in different categories.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here