BJP MLA demands ban on skirts in schools, NCW seeks apology
New Delhi: National Commission for Women (NCW) chairperson Mamta Sharma on Monday said Rajasthan MLA Banwari Lal Singhal should apologise to the girls over his remark that skirts in schools should be banned.
"It is a weird and sad statement because we want to impose restrictions on the clothing of the girls. I want to ask the MLA that a three-year-old girl and an 80-year-old woman are not provoking anyone by wearing a skirt," she said.
Sharma, who has demanded the enactment of stringent laws to deter people from committing crimes like rape, further said it is extremely painful if we talk about the dress code several years after Independence.
"Why do we want to make these kids prisoners? And if we talk about the dress code several years after Independence, then it is painful. He should understand that in today``s age, why should there be a difference between a boy and a girl. He (MLA) should say that the society should change its mindset," said Sharma.
"From the different comments that are coming nowadays, I think that a leader who reaches the assembly or Parliament with the help of the people``s vote should at least avoid making these types of remarks. Such comments worsen the environment," she added.
Singhal, a BJP MLA from Alwar (Urban), has demanded a ban on skirts as uniform in schools to keep girls away from ``men``s lustful gazes``.
Singhal has asked the state government to prohibit private schools from making girls wear skirts as uniform, citing it as the reason behind increased cases of sexual harassment.
He has also written to Rajasthan Chief Secretary CK Mathew, and demanded that girl students be made to wear shirts and trousers or ``salwar-kameez`` to reduce chances of their being subjected to lewd comments or harassment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Indian discus thrower Seema Punia qualifies for 2016 Rio Olympics
- Karan Singh Grover had a great time at 'The Kapil Sharma Show', wants to visit again!
- Delhi L-G Najeeb Jung refuses AAP govt’s proposed app-based premium bus service scheme
- Final phase of Q4 results, progress of monsoon to guide market
- Attention tax evaders: From June 1, declare black money and come clean or else....