BJP postpones yatra by tribal leader
Jaipur: The BJP central leadership has postponed a proposed 28-day `Lok Jagran Yatra` by senior BJP leader and MLA Gulabchand Kataria in the tribal belt of Rajasthan till May 5.
The yatra which was scheduled to begin on May 2 and pass through constituencies in Udaipur division was perceived as a trick by Kataria to project himself as the party`s future in the state.
But following a complaint to the party high command, Kataria and other leaders were called and the decision to postpone the Yatra was taken yesterday in New Delhi.
"Kataria had announced that he will embark on the Yatra and pass through 26 constituencies in the tribal belt but the party`s leadership has suspended the Yatra. The state core committee will take a decision about the Yatra at Jaipur," the party`s state president Arun Chaturvedi said today.
"Kataria wants to highlight failure of the state and the Central government in the tribal region. There was some dispute regarding his decision so the party high command called the leaders," he said.
Besides Chaturvedi and Kataria, party leader Kaptan Singh Solanki, leader of opposition Rajasthan Vidhansabha Vasundarha Raje, MLA Ghanshyam Tiwari were also present at the meeting chaired by the party`s national president Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi.
Differences came out in open in a party meeting in Rajsamand district of Friday last week where local legislature and the party`s national general secretary Kiran Maheshwari walked out the meeting and complained to the party leadership.
Sources said that a section of the party leaders loyal to former chief minister Vasundhara Raje has been opposing the yatra without the approval of the state and central leadership.
When contacted, both Kataria and Kiran Maheshwari were not available for comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31