BJP workers go on rampage at Jabalalpur Railway station
Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh): Protesting
against the Railway budget, hundreds of BJP activists on Friday
torched an empty train, disrupted rail traffic and damaged
property at the railway station here.
"Around 500 activists entered the station and set afire
an engine of an empty train at platform number three, detained
Patna-Pune Express for over an hour and damaged rail
property," West Central Railway Chief Public Relation Officer
(CPRO) Piyush Mathur said.
Police used batons to disperse the protesters who
clashed with the security personnel, Government Railway Police
(GRP) source said. Rail traffic was disrupted for more than an
hour on the section.
Later, more than hundred protesters including BJP
MP from Jabalpur Rakesh Singh courted arrest to protest
against the rail budget. They were particularly unhappy with
the budget provision under which the bi-weekly Garib Rath that
runs between Jabalpur-Mumbai will now originate from Allahabad
with only a halt at Jabalpur.
The exact loss of property due to the violence was
being assessed, Mathur said.
Both the GRP and Railway Police Force (RPF) have
registered cases against unidentified persons in connection
with the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital