Brig faces probe for stealing 450-year old structures
New Delhi/Jaipur: A Brigadier allegedly stole two antique chhatris (ornate canopies) from a village in Jaisalmer close to the border with Pakistan and had them installed in his house in Gurgaon near here prompting the Army to launch a probe into the incident.
The over 450-year old chhatris, which are elevated, dome-shaped pavilions, are dedicated to local gods and goddesses and were allegedly snitched from the Sultana village in Jaislamer in March during an exercise of the Army there, Army sources said.
After the incident was brought to Army`s notice, the authorities are probing the matter.
"The matter is under investigation," Defence PRO in Jodhpur Colonel S D Goswami said.
The Defence Minister is also planning to ask for a detailed report from the Army on the issue.
According to the charges, the antique structures were located near a pond but could not be accessed by the villagers due to an ongoing Army exercise there.
The Brigadier had allegedly hired two local masons, who were working for the Army, to have the umbrellas taken out and installed at his residence in Gurgaon.
The structures were transported to the officer`s house in Gurgaon in military transport in two installments and workers from Jaisalmer were hired to instal them there.
The Army exercises in the vast desert area in Jaisalmer near the Pakistan border and during the time of war drills, local population is not allowed to venture in those areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read