Candidate selection for Rajasthan polls will take more time: Congress
Jaipur: With as many as 4,000 people vying for 200 Congress tickets for the Rajasthan Assembly polls, party general secretary Ajay Maken on Thursday said more time would be required for finalising the candidates` list.
The process for selection of candidates, as devised by party vice-president Rahul Gandhi, "is underway and it is right now difficult to disclose any date" for announcing the list, Maken said, after inaugurating a renovated communication centre here.
All 4,000 willing candidates for the December 1 elections have been interviewed and the AICC screening committee have met twice in Delhi to decide on the matter, he said, adding "we will sit in Delhi again today itself".
Asked about fielding tainted leaders in the Assembly polls, the Congress leader said, "Rahulji wants winnable candidates with good and clean image."
"Tainted candidates` authenticity and truthfulness would be verified. Merits of aspiring candidates would be considered first," Maken said, with Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot and PCC president Chandrabhan by his side.
Asked whether the party would consider giving tickets to Independents supporting the Gehlot government, Maken said, "There is no policy decision on it".
"There is bright prospect of Congress coming to power again in Rajasthan", despite the delay in candidate selection, he said, adding Rahulji and Soniaji`s rallies held in parts of Rajasthan in the past two months have generated great enthusiasm among supporters.
Anticipating a larger role to be played by social media in coming elections, Maken said, "I totally agree with the Election Commission that social media should be monitored as poll campaigns have started coming on Facebook and Twitter".
Maken said his party has modernised its communication centres in all state headquarters to popularise party`s achievements through social media.
All state headquarters will also be linked with AICC through "video-conference" in near future, he said.
Later Maken addressed party leaders and workers on communication skills and designs at the party office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical