Children rescued from illegal `homes` in Jaipur
Jaipur: The Rajasthan government rescued 49 children, including 27 girls, from illegal confinement at two illegal child shelter homes in the state capital, officials said Wednesday.
The children, all aged between five and 12 years, were kept confined in shelter homes which were not registered with government agencies. A man claiming to be a pastor was arrested by police, officials said. The raids were carried out Tuesday.
A senior officer of the Rajasthan State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (RCPCR) told IANS that raids were carried out with the help of some non-government organisations in Mansarovar and Jawahar Circle areas of the city.
"An NGO had been approached by the family of a girl who earlier lived in the Mansarovar-situated child shelter home. They complained about this shelter home where a girl had taken ill while living there, and was handed over to her parents in Manipur. The girl later died at her parents` home," the officer said.
He added that the house was run under the name of "Grace Home".
"When we entered the house, we found 27 girls and two boys. They were confined to their rooms. We found several empty liquor bottles. The food in the kitchen was rotten," the officer said.
The police detained a man identified as Jacob John, who claims to be a pastor, the officer added.
"John said the children`s shelter had been operating for 10 years. It was, however, never registered under the Juvenile Justice Act," said the officer. Such registration is mandatory for the running of a children`s shelter.
John said the children came from poor families across the country. Among them were children from Punjab, Assam, Manipur, Nagaland and Chhattisgarh.
"John claims that parents leave children there willingly. However, we have come to know that these children were not being sent to school. They were being imparted knowledge pertaining to a particular religion," the officer said.
A neighbour, asking she not be named, said she had never seen the children outside the home.
"Even on occasions like Holi and Diwali, all the children in neighbourhood gathered at the community park, but no one from this shelter home ever participated in such functions. These children don`t come out even in the evenings to play with other children," the neighbour said.
The RCPCR officer added that these children were made to do all the domestic chores themselves.
"We are investigating why these liquor bottles were lying around," the officer said.
John told investigators about another shelter home in Jawahar Circle area.
"A RCPCR team raided another house and rescued 20 boys from that house also late Tuesday night. The police have rounded up some persons from that shelter home too. Further investigation is on," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla