Clampdown in Rajasthan town after communal tension
Jaipur: Authorities Thursday banned gathering of five or more people in a town in Rajasthan` Ajmer district Thursday after communal tension flared up, police said.
According to police, people from the two communities came to the brink of a violent clash over a parking dispute at Sarvar town, some 150 km from Jaipur.
"Some youth broke open the locks of disputed parking place situated near a temple and a mosque. People from both the communities started gathering at separate places in the town," said a police officer.
People from a community blocked a road for hours demanding action against the youth and announced a shutdown of markets for three days, the officer added.
"Markets remained closed in the town today (Thursday). Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code was imposed banning gathering of five or more people," said the officer.
Three more communal violence cases have been reported in the state`s Makrana, Jaipur and Udaipur cities since April 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter