Clashes mar students` union elections in Rajasthan
Jaipur: Clashes between rival groups leading to cases of stabbing and vandalisation, including an attack at a Rajasthan minister`s house, marked students` body elections in the state today, police said.
Students and supporters of candidates contesting the polls barged into the residence of the Rajasthan Minister of State for Technical Education, Murari Lal Meena, and tried to vandalise the property. Staff at the household said that the minister was at present out of town.
According to police, the attack at the minister`s house followed a clash between two rival groups led by Rajendra Gujjar and Siyaram Meena, both contenders for the post of students` union president of Dausa district college.
Police had to fire teargas shells to bring the situation under control.
Around half-a-dozen persons were injured in the clash as students went on a rampage pelting stones, burning a Roadways bus and damaging some two-wheelers, said Dausa SP, Dilip Kumar.
"The students burnt a bus, damaged a few other vehicles and vandalised a few shops," said IG Jaipur Saurabh Srivastava.
"There is no report of firing in the incident... We have dispersed the mob. The situation is tense, but under control.
"We are not taking any chances and have deployed additional forces in the area," Srivastava said from the spot.
In Jodhpur, meanwhile, four persons, including three students, were injured during similar clashes.
"Three students were injured in stabbing and one in stone pelting during the clash. All of them have been admitted to hospital," said DCP (East), Laxman Gaur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...