Clashes mar students` union elections in Rajasthan
Jaipur: Clashes between rival groups leading to cases of stabbing and vandalisation, including an attack at a Rajasthan minister`s house, marked students` body elections in the state today, police said.
Students and supporters of candidates contesting the polls barged into the residence of the Rajasthan Minister of State for Technical Education, Murari Lal Meena, and tried to vandalise the property. Staff at the household said that the minister was at present out of town.
According to police, the attack at the minister`s house followed a clash between two rival groups led by Rajendra Gujjar and Siyaram Meena, both contenders for the post of students` union president of Dausa district college.
Police had to fire teargas shells to bring the situation under control.
Around half-a-dozen persons were injured in the clash as students went on a rampage pelting stones, burning a Roadways bus and damaging some two-wheelers, said Dausa SP, Dilip Kumar.
"The students burnt a bus, damaged a few other vehicles and vandalised a few shops," said IG Jaipur Saurabh Srivastava.
"There is no report of firing in the incident... We have dispersed the mob. The situation is tense, but under control.
"We are not taking any chances and have deployed additional forces in the area," Srivastava said from the spot.
In Jodhpur, meanwhile, four persons, including three students, were injured during similar clashes.
"Three students were injured in stabbing and one in stone pelting during the clash. All of them have been admitted to hospital," said DCP (East), Laxman Gaur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi