Clashes mar students` union elections in Rajasthan
Jaipur: Clashes between rival groups leading to cases of stabbing and vandalisation, including an attack at a Rajasthan minister`s house, marked students` body elections in the state today, police said.
Students and supporters of candidates contesting the polls barged into the residence of the Rajasthan Minister of State for Technical Education, Murari Lal Meena, and tried to vandalise the property. Staff at the household said that the minister was at present out of town.
According to police, the attack at the minister`s house followed a clash between two rival groups led by Rajendra Gujjar and Siyaram Meena, both contenders for the post of students` union president of Dausa district college.
Police had to fire teargas shells to bring the situation under control.
Around half-a-dozen persons were injured in the clash as students went on a rampage pelting stones, burning a Roadways bus and damaging some two-wheelers, said Dausa SP, Dilip Kumar.
"The students burnt a bus, damaged a few other vehicles and vandalised a few shops," said IG Jaipur Saurabh Srivastava.
"There is no report of firing in the incident... We have dispersed the mob. The situation is tense, but under control.
"We are not taking any chances and have deployed additional forces in the area," Srivastava said from the spot.
In Jodhpur, meanwhile, four persons, including three students, were injured during similar clashes.
"Three students were injured in stabbing and one in stone pelting during the clash. All of them have been admitted to hospital," said DCP (East), Laxman Gaur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Euro 2016: Italy`s Antonio Candreva to miss pre-quarters clash with Spain
- India has a very big infrastructure programme: Arun Jaitley
- Germany's Merkel calls for sober EU divorce talks with 'partner' Britain
- Sanjay Bangar, Abhay Sharma named as support staff to Indian cricket coach Anil Kumble
- Russia, regime strikes kill 47 in east Syria: Monitor