Cong high command send `stern` message to Gehlot
New Delhi: Shocked by the Bharatpur incident,
Congress high command has given a "stern message" to Rajasthan
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot after a central party team
reported "police excesses" during the communal riots but no
heads are expected to roll.
Party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi today said the incident,
in which eight persons belonging to the minority community
were killed, was unfortunate and the party condemns it
A senior party leader, who declined to be identified,
said that a "strong and stern message" has been given to the
Rajasthan government that such incidents should not recur.
The leader, however, did not see the possibility of the
beleaguered state Home Minister Shanti Dhariwal being shown
The statement came a day after an AICC fact finding team
gave a report to party chief Sonia Gandhi which spoke of
"police excesses" during the riots.
The team, which conducted a survey of riot-affected
area, also examined the "firing in the mosque" during the
riots between Meo Muslims and Gujjars there.
"There have been police excesses," another Congress
leader, who declined to be identified, said.
The Congress delegation, which visited Bharatpur on
Monday and submitted its report yesterday, included Vijay
Bahuguna, Rashid Alvi, Viplov Thakur and Deepender Hooda. The
violence had broken out over a land dispute.
At the AICC briefing, Singhvi dismissed suggestions that
the incident projected Gehlot in the same light as Gujarat
Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who has been under attack for
the communal riots in 2002.
"Such a comparision will not only be unfortunate, but it
will totally wrong and a lie....The difference is that what
was witnessed in Gujarat was state sponsored," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state