Cong leaders visit Gopalgarh; give compensation
Jaipur: A group of senior Congress leaders
on Saturday visited Gopalgarh area in Bharatpur district, which
witnessed bloody clashes between two communities in September,
and gave compensation to the affected families.
AICC General Secretary Mukul Wasnik, Union Minister of
State for Home Jitendra Singh, Rajasthan Pradesh Congress
Committee President Chandrabhan visited the families of the
Nine out of the ten families were distributed Rs 2 lakh
each as compensation. The team spoke to the kin of those
killed in the clashes and inquired about the situation in the
area, Chandrabhan said.
District collector Gaurav Goyal, SP Vikas Kumar were
among other present there.
On September 14, 10 persons of Mev Muslim community were
killed and a few others were injured in violent clashes
between members of Mev and Gujjar communities over a
An inquiry into the matter has been referred to the CBI
and a judicial probe is going on into the matter.
Opposition parties, including the BJP, have attacked the
Congress government in Rajasthan for the riots, alleging the
state administration had failed to protect the rights of the
minorities as all the victims were Muslims.
An AICC fact-finding team, in its report to party chief
Sonia Gandhi, also spoke of "police excesses" during the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch