Cong workers to decide candidates for Jhunjhunu, Bikaner seats
Jaipur: Congress will follow an internal voting pattern for selection of candidates for Lok Sabha polls from Jhunjhunu and Bikaner seats, in-charge of party affairs in Rajasthan Gurudas Kamath said here on Wednesday.
"Present and former elected representatives of the party, office bearers of the district Congress committees, members of Youth Congress, frontal organisations and Congress-minded people will be the electoral who through internal voting will select candidates on both the seats for upcoming Lok Sabha elections," the AICC General Secretary said.
In an effort to "decentralise" the process of party ticket distribution, Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on January 17 in his address at the AICC session in Delhi had said candidates for 15 Lok Sabha seats will be decided on the basis of feedback from local units.
Jhunjhunu and Bikaner constituencies were among the 15 constituencies which have been identified by Gandhi where party workers will select their own candidates, Kamath said, adding that the process will be transparent.
He said approximately 800-2000 people, present and immediate past office bearers of the organisation, will participate in the process.
"Anyone who has been a party member for the last five years and has no criminal background can submit candidature. The one who gets maximum votes will be declared the party`s candidate for LS election," he told reporters.
Jhunjhunu seat got vacant after the death of party stalwart Sis Ram Ola in last December.
Kamath was in the city to attend a meeting with the party`s all elected representatives to discuss strategy for the Lok Sabha elections.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today