Cong workers to decide candidates for Jhunjhunu, Bikaner seats
Jaipur: Congress will follow an internal voting pattern for selection of candidates for Lok Sabha polls from Jhunjhunu and Bikaner seats, in-charge of party affairs in Rajasthan Gurudas Kamath said here on Wednesday.
"Present and former elected representatives of the party, office bearers of the district Congress committees, members of Youth Congress, frontal organisations and Congress-minded people will be the electoral who through internal voting will select candidates on both the seats for upcoming Lok Sabha elections," the AICC General Secretary said.
In an effort to "decentralise" the process of party ticket distribution, Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on January 17 in his address at the AICC session in Delhi had said candidates for 15 Lok Sabha seats will be decided on the basis of feedback from local units.
Jhunjhunu and Bikaner constituencies were among the 15 constituencies which have been identified by Gandhi where party workers will select their own candidates, Kamath said, adding that the process will be transparent.
He said approximately 800-2000 people, present and immediate past office bearers of the organisation, will participate in the process.
"Anyone who has been a party member for the last five years and has no criminal background can submit candidature. The one who gets maximum votes will be declared the party`s candidate for LS election," he told reporters.
Jhunjhunu seat got vacant after the death of party stalwart Sis Ram Ola in last December.
Kamath was in the city to attend a meeting with the party`s all elected representatives to discuss strategy for the Lok Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why