Cops continue protest against HC order on lathicharge
Jaipur: Several policemen continued their protest for the second day on Saturday over the High Court verdict asking government not to give posting to nine senior police officers till judicial probe ordered into police action against lawyers was over.
The Rajasthan High Court, hearing a PIL, yesterday ordered a judicial probe into the police lathicharge on lawyers and directed the government not to give any posting to Jaipur Police Commissioner BL Soni and eight other policemen until the investigation was completed.
Many policemen threatened to resign to protest against the court order, and they yesterday boycotted mess facilities at several police stations, sources said.
Meanwhile, the Jaipur Bar Association has said it will hold a nation-wide protest starting March 11 to demand the arrest of the policemen responsible for lathicharging lawyers, sources in the association said.
They will also demand that the government should provide a house and Rs 5,000 monthly dole to lawyers with less than five years of experience, they said.
Lawyers were baton charged on Wednesday when they were marching towards the state Assembly during their agitation for better renumeration.
Some policemen were also injured in stone-pelting by the lawyers.
Several policemen as well as advocates were injured in clashes that broke out over the lathicharge in the last few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karan Johar visits 'Befikre' sets, gets emotional cherishing 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge' days!
- Bizarre: Man puts wife at stake in IPL gambling, loses her
- Awesome! Taapsee Pannu gives a dose of royal purple to her gorgeous tresses! – See pic
- Stunner Shilpa Shetty gives ultimate 'summer fashion' goals in crisp white!
- Is Delhi on terror radar? This week's bus explosion in Haryana hints at 'something big'