Court rejects Asaram plea challenging age of victim, slaps fine
Jodhpur: A plea by Asaram, challenging the age of the minor girl allegedly sexually assaulted by the self-style godman, was on Thursday rejected by a court here which also slapped a fine of Rs 5,000 on him.
Defence had moved the District and Session Court on Thursday, challenging the age of the victim girl and argued in the court that the girl was not a minor.
This was the fifth such application challenging the age of the victim, which has been rejected. Before this, similar applications have been rejected by both the High Court and the Session court.
"The court, while citing the decisions of the Supreme Court considering the secondary certificate as a proof of age, rejected the application of the defence filed under Section 34 of POCSO Act challenging the age of the victim girl," Pramod Kumar Verma, prosecution counsel said.
Defence counsel had moved the application on May 1 and cited her pre-school certificate as a ground.
"For this, the defence cited girl`s pre-school certificate as a ground, which the court refused to accept stating that only secondary certificate was valid as age certificate," said the counsel.
Rejecting the ground of the application and arguments of the defence, Justice Mahendra Kumar also slapped a fine of Rs 5,000.
"Every time, when the defence had challenged the age of the girl, it has used the ground not legal.
"The main objective of the defence behind getting Asaram discharged from the sections under POCSO Act is to pave the way for his bail and bring down the severity of the crime," R L Meena, public prosecutor, said, adding that everytime the defence failed to achieve its objective.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly