Court rejects Asaram plea seeking media gag order
Jodhpur: A local court on Tuesday rejected a petition of controversial self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl, seeking a direction restraining media from reporting on the issue.
72-year-old Asaram was arrested by the Jodhpur police after midnight from his `ashram` in Indore on August 31.
He is currently in Jodhpur jail under judicial custody.
District and Sessions Court (Jodhpur) had completed hearing on the petition on September 20 and had reserved the order for today.
In his petition, Asaram had sought restraint on the media reporting of the issue on September 6.
His counsel Pradeep Choudhary had argued in the court that media reports were derogatory and had maligned Asaram`s image.
"The investigative agency should not be allowed to leak, pass or share any information to the media in relation to the case," he had said in the plea.
Prosecution lawyer Manish Vyas, however, told the court that media had not disclosed the identity of the victim thereby complying with the Section 23 of CrPC.
He also said that there was no evidence that probe agencies have disclosed any detail to the media.
After hearing the arguments, Judge Manoj Kumar Vyas rejected the petition.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?