Court to hear defamation suit against Modi Nov 19
Bundi (Raj): A local court has fixed November 19 for the hearing of a review petition against the rejection of a defamation case against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Modi had allegedly made derogatory remarks against
late Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in a public meeting of BJP at Gandhinagar on June 5 following which a state Congress member filed a defamation suit against him.
State Youth Congress Secretary Charmesh Sharma had filed a defamation suit against Modi at the Chief Judicial Magistrate court alleging that Modi`s comments against Nehru were disparaging and he and other admirers of Nehru were "deeply hurt and pained" by them.
Sharma had enclosed a video recording of the television telecast in which Modi allegedly refers to Nehru as having "done nothing for children".
The CJM court had rejected the defamation suit on the grounds of jurisdiction after which petitioner Sharma filed a review petition at the district court challenging the rejection of the defamation suit.
Subsequently, the district court had sent the petition to the upper district and sessions court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender