Court to hear defamation suit against Modi Nov 19
Bundi (Raj): A local court has fixed November 19 for the hearing of a review petition against the rejection of a defamation case against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Modi had allegedly made derogatory remarks against
late Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in a public meeting of BJP at Gandhinagar on June 5 following which a state Congress member filed a defamation suit against him.
State Youth Congress Secretary Charmesh Sharma had filed a defamation suit against Modi at the Chief Judicial Magistrate court alleging that Modi`s comments against Nehru were disparaging and he and other admirers of Nehru were "deeply hurt and pained" by them.
Sharma had enclosed a video recording of the television telecast in which Modi allegedly refers to Nehru as having "done nothing for children".
The CJM court had rejected the defamation suit on the grounds of jurisdiction after which petitioner Sharma filed a review petition at the district court challenging the rejection of the defamation suit.
Subsequently, the district court had sent the petition to the upper district and sessions court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit