Crime against SCs and STs high in Rajasthan
Jaipur: Rajasthan has registered a high rate of crime against Scheduled Castes at 7.6 per cent as compared to the national average of 2.8 per cent in the year 2011.
This was highlighted at the open hearing of National Human Rights Commission`s complaints of atrocities against SCs and STs inaugurated by NHRC chairperson K G Balakrishan here.
Pointing out that the Commission has embarked upon a mission to hear the complaints of atrocities against SCs in every state, Balakrishan said that it was disheartening to note that despite laws, complaints of violations of Dalit rights have not gone down in Rajasthan.
Balakrishnan said that NHRC is not focused only on criminal cases but also on social upliftment of the SCs.
Admitting that the state has registered a high number of cases of atrocities against SCs, Chief Secretary C K Mathew said that the Government has taken several measures to address the problems.
He said a special budgetary provision has been made for the welfare and development of Scheduled Castes.
For the open session, aimed at sensitising official machinery, the NHRC received about 300 complaints on alleged violation of Dalits rights, out of which 115 complaints were short-listed, which are being heard by the NHRC members today.
The complaints are mostly pertaining to delay in release of scholarships, denial of benefits of social welfare schemes, police inaction and poor investigation among others.
After the open hearing of the complaints, the Commission will hold discussion with the representatives of the local NGOs tomorrow on the issues of SCs.
Prior to the hearing in Rajasthan, the Commission held three such hearings in Odisha, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu and heard more than 600 complaints relating to the problems of Scheduled Casts and recommended on the spot relief in many cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- US to seek death penalty against accused South Carolina church shooter
- These pretty Bollywood ‘mermaids’ sizzled in the pristine beaches of Goa – Pics inside
- Newly elected AIADMK MLA SM Seenivel passes away, hours before oath-taking ceremony
- UBSE / UEEB 10th Results 2016: Uttarakhand / Uttaranchal (UK) Board Class 10th Exam Results 2016 to be declared soon
- BoI net loss soars to Rs 3,567 cr as bad loans bite