Dalit woman branded a witch, thrashed in Rajasthan
Tonk: A Dalit woman was labelled a witch and beaten up badly in Rajasthan`s Tonk district, police said on Sunday.
Kamla Bairwa of Jhalra village in Tonk district, over 100 km from Jaipur, stated in her First Information Report (FIR) filed with the police Saturday that some villagers tagged her as a witch, insulted her and then beat her up.
"The villagers, especially the women, call me a witch. They insult me, torture me and beat me up. They wanted me to leave the village," Kamla, a labourer, told a news agency.
She added: "A couple of days back they tied me around a tree and I was beaten badly. I am scared. How can I live in such a place where people are after my life."
A policeman of Uniara police station in Tonk district said: "Kamla Bairwa has filed an FIR against five people, including two women."
Police have started investigations.
"We will record the statements of both the parties. We may conduct a medical examination of the complainant and, if need be, arrest the culprits," the police official said.
Rajasthan is one of the states in the country where women, who exhibit abnormal behaviour, are often called witches and ill-treated by the society, causing them to commit suicide.
In a bid to curb this, the women`s commission in Rajasthan has prepared a draft bill that has been sent to the state government.
According to the draft bill, called Rajasthan Prevention of Witch (Dain) Practices Bill, a crime would be considered to have been committed when any person or community intentionally or inadvertently abets, conspires, aids and instigates the identification of a woman as a witch, leading to her mental and physical torture and humiliation.
The bill advocates severe punishment for the guilty.
However, the draft bill sent to the state government over three years back, is still to see light of the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP