Dara Singh encounter: BJP MLA Rathore arrested
Jaipur: BJP MLA Rajendra Singh Rathore was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Thursday in connection with the alleged fake encounter of Dara Singh, a liquor mafia, in 2006.
Rathore, who had served as PWD minister in the erstwhile BJP government, is known as a close confidant of former chief minister Vasundhara Raje Scindia. He represents Taranagar Assembly constituency in Churu district.
Dara Singh, a criminal and a bootlegger operating in Rajasthan and Haryana who was facing several cases including those of attempt to murder and smuggling, was killed in an encounter by the Special Operations Group (SOG) of Rajasthan Police in October 2006 in Jaipur.
The investigating agency in its charge sheet has said: "There were two rival liquor mafias in Churu and Jhunjhunu districts of Rajasthan. One was headed by Sumer Singh Fagediya and included Vijendra Singh, alias Tilaia, and Dara Singh. The other group, ruled by one Virender Singh Nyangli, was protected by the then BJP minister and present MLA Rajender Singh Rathore."
"The animosity among Vijendra Singh, Dara Singh and Rajendra Rathore increased in 2003-2005 and even turned into personal animosity. Rathore even tried to reopen a false case against Dara Singh and his aide Vijender Singh in December 2005," it further said.
"The circumstantial evidence shows clearly that Dara was murdered in cold blood by SOG personnel and the same was duly monitored by ADG Police A K Jain, SP SOG A Ponnuchammi and Additional SP Arshad Ali along with other officials and during this entire period Rajendra Rathore was on telephonic touch with Jain, ADGP," the charge sheet said.
Some senior police officers, including A K Jain, have also been booked by the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...