Dara Singh encounter: BJP MLA Rathore arrested
Jaipur: BJP MLA Rajendra Singh Rathore was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Thursday in connection with the alleged fake encounter of Dara Singh, a liquor mafia, in 2006.
Rathore, who had served as PWD minister in the erstwhile BJP government, is known as a close confidant of former chief minister Vasundhara Raje Scindia. He represents Taranagar Assembly constituency in Churu district.
Dara Singh, a criminal and a bootlegger operating in Rajasthan and Haryana who was facing several cases including those of attempt to murder and smuggling, was killed in an encounter by the Special Operations Group (SOG) of Rajasthan Police in October 2006 in Jaipur.
The investigating agency in its charge sheet has said: "There were two rival liquor mafias in Churu and Jhunjhunu districts of Rajasthan. One was headed by Sumer Singh Fagediya and included Vijendra Singh, alias Tilaia, and Dara Singh. The other group, ruled by one Virender Singh Nyangli, was protected by the then BJP minister and present MLA Rajender Singh Rathore."
"The animosity among Vijendra Singh, Dara Singh and Rajendra Rathore increased in 2003-2005 and even turned into personal animosity. Rathore even tried to reopen a false case against Dara Singh and his aide Vijender Singh in December 2005," it further said.
"The circumstantial evidence shows clearly that Dara was murdered in cold blood by SOG personnel and the same was duly monitored by ADG Police A K Jain, SP SOG A Ponnuchammi and Additional SP Arshad Ali along with other officials and during this entire period Rajendra Rathore was on telephonic touch with Jain, ADGP," the charge sheet said.
Some senior police officers, including A K Jain, have also been booked by the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini