Dausa MP demands CBI probe into Banasthali rape `cover-up`
Jaipur: Dausa MP Kirori Meena on Sunday staged dharna outside Banasthali Vidyapith in Tonk district demanding a CBI probe into the alleged cover-up of two rape cases in the university campus as claimed by its students.
"It seems that the university has covered up things which can be properly investigated by the CBI," he told reporters in the university campus.
Meena, along with his MLA wife Golma Devi and students of Rajasthan University and Maharani college of Jaipur today went to Banasthali Vidyapith to meet students who have been accusing the institute`s management of covering up the cases.
The Dausa MP and his supporters were reportedly denied entry into the premises, after which they shouted slogans against the university and sat on dharna.
Eventually, Golma, president of Rajasthan University student union Rajesh Meena and a girl leader were allowed to go inside to speak to the girls of the university.
Later, Meena ended the dharna and also went inside the university to discuss the issue with the girls.
Meanwhile, a section of students has started questioning the allegations.
"Where are the victims if rape incident really occurred? Why they have not been identified so far? Those girls who started the protests are actually raising their own demands by creating atmosphere against the varsity," a girl student told reporters in the university campus.
Police officials are also not confirming whether the rape incidents, as claimed by girls, had occurred or not.
"It is a sensitive matter and things are confidential. We are investigating the matter and nothing conclusive can be said at the moment," a police officer said.
Human Rights Commission and Commission for Women have begun their probe in the case.
Chairperson of state commission for Women, Ladkumari Jain visited the campus on Friday and a team from national commission for women would visit the university tomorrow.
Banasthali Vidyapith is a high-profile fully residential women`s deemed university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic
- Will women be allowed to enter Haji Ali shrine? Bombay HC verdict today
- Check out the posters of Sunny Leone’s ‘Beiimaan Love’
- Central team to visit Kashmir to look into infiltration today