Dausa MP demands CBI probe into Banasthali rape `cover-up`
Jaipur: Dausa MP Kirori Meena on Sunday staged dharna outside Banasthali Vidyapith in Tonk district demanding a CBI probe into the alleged cover-up of two rape cases in the university campus as claimed by its students.
"It seems that the university has covered up things which can be properly investigated by the CBI," he told reporters in the university campus.
Meena, along with his MLA wife Golma Devi and students of Rajasthan University and Maharani college of Jaipur today went to Banasthali Vidyapith to meet students who have been accusing the institute`s management of covering up the cases.
The Dausa MP and his supporters were reportedly denied entry into the premises, after which they shouted slogans against the university and sat on dharna.
Eventually, Golma, president of Rajasthan University student union Rajesh Meena and a girl leader were allowed to go inside to speak to the girls of the university.
Later, Meena ended the dharna and also went inside the university to discuss the issue with the girls.
Meanwhile, a section of students has started questioning the allegations.
"Where are the victims if rape incident really occurred? Why they have not been identified so far? Those girls who started the protests are actually raising their own demands by creating atmosphere against the varsity," a girl student told reporters in the university campus.
Police officials are also not confirming whether the rape incidents, as claimed by girls, had occurred or not.
"It is a sensitive matter and things are confidential. We are investigating the matter and nothing conclusive can be said at the moment," a police officer said.
Human Rights Commission and Commission for Women have begun their probe in the case.
Chairperson of state commission for Women, Ladkumari Jain visited the campus on Friday and a team from national commission for women would visit the university tomorrow.
Banasthali Vidyapith is a high-profile fully residential women`s deemed university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India