Dausa MP demands CBI probe into Banasthali rape `cover-up`
Jaipur: Dausa MP Kirori Meena on Sunday staged dharna outside Banasthali Vidyapith in Tonk district demanding a CBI probe into the alleged cover-up of two rape cases in the university campus as claimed by its students.
"It seems that the university has covered up things which can be properly investigated by the CBI," he told reporters in the university campus.
Meena, along with his MLA wife Golma Devi and students of Rajasthan University and Maharani college of Jaipur today went to Banasthali Vidyapith to meet students who have been accusing the institute`s management of covering up the cases.
The Dausa MP and his supporters were reportedly denied entry into the premises, after which they shouted slogans against the university and sat on dharna.
Eventually, Golma, president of Rajasthan University student union Rajesh Meena and a girl leader were allowed to go inside to speak to the girls of the university.
Later, Meena ended the dharna and also went inside the university to discuss the issue with the girls.
Meanwhile, a section of students has started questioning the allegations.
"Where are the victims if rape incident really occurred? Why they have not been identified so far? Those girls who started the protests are actually raising their own demands by creating atmosphere against the varsity," a girl student told reporters in the university campus.
Police officials are also not confirming whether the rape incidents, as claimed by girls, had occurred or not.
"It is a sensitive matter and things are confidential. We are investigating the matter and nothing conclusive can be said at the moment," a police officer said.
Human Rights Commission and Commission for Women have begun their probe in the case.
Chairperson of state commission for Women, Ladkumari Jain visited the campus on Friday and a team from national commission for women would visit the university tomorrow.
Banasthali Vidyapith is a high-profile fully residential women`s deemed university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened