Dean of medical college in Jabalpur commits suicide
Jabalpur: Dean of the Government Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Medical College here, allegedly committed suicide by setting himself on fire at his official residence Saturday morning, police said.
The deceased identified as Dr DK Shakalye, was alone at home at the time as his wife was out for a morning walk, Garha police station in-charge Bharat Singh Rajput said.
The cause of the suicide was not yet known, Rajput added.
After pouring kerosene and setting himself on fire, he came out of the house and cried for help. People in the vicinity doused the flames and took him to the hospital.
He succumbed in the hospital, having suffered 98 per cent burn injuries, Rajput said.
Dr Shakalye, who took charge as the dean six months ago, was on leave for the last twenty days.
His colleagues told police that he often seemed to be under stress.
As many as 90 students of the college were expelled after the scam in the medical entrance examinations conducted by the Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board came to light. Legal action was initiated against twenty of them.
Police however did not say anything about whether it could have anything to do with Dr Shakalye`s alleged suicide. Further probe is on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list