`Death money` custom causing law and order in Rajasthan
Jaipur: Rajasthan Police are probing if a recent case of arson in Pratapgarh district is a fallout of the tribal system of collecting "death money" from a person causing someone`s death and resorting to protests and even violence if it is not paid, officials said Tuesday.
The "Mautana" tradition, literally the "death money", prevalent in Rajasthan`s Mewar region covering Pratapgarh, Bhilwara, Chittorgarh, Rajsamand and Udaipur districts, has created serious law and order situations recently, they said.
The house and shop of Manish at Lakhya Phanta village of Pratapgarh were set ablaze March 7 by the family of Gautam Meena who was killed Feb 6 in an accident allegedly caused a family member of Manish, Pratapgarh Police circle officer Surendra Singh Bhati told IANS.
Elders of the village had fixed the `mautana` compensation amount Manish was to pay to Gautam`s family, Bhati said.
The money is paid by the family of the person who is considered responsible for causing the death by an accident, inducing suicide attempt, dowry harassment and even by denial of proper and timely treatment of an ailment.
The tribal communities of the area, including Meenas and Bhils, also indulge in another tradition called "Chanotara" if `mautana` compensation is not paid, the officials added.
According to the tradition, the family of the deceased person takes revenge on the accused and his/her family by setting ablaze their house, beating them up or placing the deceased`s body in front of their house till the compensation is paid.
"Manish says when he did not pay the money, Gautam`s family members set his house and shop on fire. He alleges that they robbed many items from his house before the arson. Manish has registered a complaint with the police. We are investigating the matter," Bhati said.
In Ambamata police station area of Udaipur recently, the family members of 20-year old married woman Narmada, who died of an illness, placed her body in front of her in-law`s house and only agreed to remove it from there when a `mautana` amount of Rs.100,000 was paid to them, said a police officer.
In yet another incident, tension flared up in Japa village of Dungarpur district when a 40-year-old man was beaten to death and his family members went on a rampage demanding `mautana` money, said a police officer.
He added that the body was cremated only when the accused man`s family members paid the compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'