Death toll rises to 26 in Kota bridge collapse
Kota: The collapse of an
under-construction bridge over Chambal river is prima-facie a
case of "human negligence," the National Highway Authority of
India (NHAI) said, giving a clean chit to the construction
companies in the incident which has claimed at least 26 lives.
Thursday`s bridge collapse under East-West Corridor
project "is prima-facie a case of human negligence with little
possibility of technical fault or of design" Subash Patel,
director in technical board of NHAI told reporters during his
visit to the rescue site yesterday.
Giving a clean chit to the two construction companies --
Gammon India and Hyundai -- Patel said, "We express our trust
and confidence in their capacity" and that "the same companies
will carry on the work."
Meanwhile, a committee of experts has been set up to
investigate the reasons behind the collapse. The rescue work
is expected to continue for over one-and-a-half-month as 8,000
tones of concrete had fallen with the iron structure of the
bridge into the river, he said, adding the hanging bridge
project would now be completed by 2011.
NHAI has also announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh for
the next of the kin of the deceased, he said.
A senior official of Gammon India, Rohit Modi, said Rs 2
lakh ex gratia will be given to the family of the deceased.
With recovery of three more bodies from the debris today,
the death toll has risen to 26. The deceased have been
identified as Deepak Yadav (25) of Bundi and Prem Singh (29)
and Tarin Singh both from Amritsar, Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read