Dissident Cong MLA threatens agitation if Jat quota is reduced
Jaipur: Dissident Congress MLA Sonaram on Friday asked the Rajasthan government not to touch the 21 percent reservation for OBCs in the state in order to fulfill the five percent quota demand made by Gujjars and other castes.
The reservation of communities like Jats, Bishnois and others who are under OBC category should not be reduced at any cost and if it is initiated, there would be agitation across the state, he said.
The MLA, a retired Army colonel, who is among dissident MLAs of the ruling party, also demanded removal of state OBC Commission Chairman I S Israni and appointment of a person from the Jat community as its head.
He alleged that Israni made his intentions clear of reviewing the reservation to the communities which are getting the benefits of reservation for 10 years and have become powerful.
"If there is any decision to withdraw reservation to Jat communities covered under OBC, we will launch an agitation across the state. We have the leaders of the community who irrespective of their political affiliation are with us to support the demand", he said.
However, he did not disclose the names of the leaders who have supported this demand.
The legislator also demanded that the OBC reservation in the state should be increased to 27 percent from 21 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich attack: Facebook activates safety check tool
- Anamika Khanna weaves romance at India Couture Week
- Blue hues to die for! Sonakshi Sinha is basking under Maldives sun- See pic
- Types of HIV carried by chimps can infect humans: Study
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch