Doctor gets 2-year jail for violating PCPNDT
Kota: A special court here has sentenced a doctor to two years in jail for violating the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Technique (PCPNDT) Act by advising a pregnant woman to undergo sex-determination test.
While delivering the judgement in the seven-year-old case yesterday, Judicial Magistrate Sweta Gupta also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 on Sulochana Sharma, a resident of Vigyan Nagar area.
Following a sting operation by a news channel, the then Chief Medical & Health Officer of Kota NK Jhalani filed a case in the Judicial Magistrate Court on November 9, 2006 against Sharma, who runs a private clinic here.
In the sting video, Sharma was shown counselling a pregnant woman and directing her for sex-determination test to a private sonography centre. The accused doctor was also shown disclosing to a patient in the video that she was carrying a female foetus in her womb and that she should abort the baby.
On failing to pay the penalty amount, the culprit must undergo two months additional term in jail, the special court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday